Monday, February 16, 2009

Sydney Body Art Ride 2009

Well the 2009 ride will certainly go down in history. Despite a Wintery weather forecast we decided to go ahead with the ride. In spite of our concerns it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days ever.

The morning was looking pretty cold and damp as we got set up but people started to arrive.

No one seemed too keen on stripping off to get painted at first but the children led the way and the grownups soon followed.

At about 11 we had a brief downpour that sent everyone scurrying for cover but it didn’t last long. The nicely dressed people on the Registration team discovered they had acquired quite a few extra colours on their outfits after they shared their tent with a mob of painted Pink Fun bunnies!

The weather was getting distinctly warmer and we were nearly ready to go when Roman the panoramic photographer showed up, running late, but very eager to get a shot of the riders. We formed up in our colour groups in a big circle around him with our bikes and anxiously watched the camera slowly turn as a big black cloud hove into view.

The minute the picture was taken the heavens opened and we all ran for the marquees again.

I found myself under a dripping tree using a raincoat to keep my paint on, the rain really looked like it was setting in and I was starting to feel concerned about the safety of the children out on the wet roads. I knew most of the adults would want to ride through the rain but how to tell the kids they couldn’t come?


Luckily the rain petered out again and we quickly formed up.

Bells rang, horns honked and off we went. A warm breeze blew and the children sang at the top of their voices as we rolled over the first crest. We had hoped to get at least 50 riders despite the weather and so we were all elated to see nearly one hundred out on the road. More than enough to make an impressive spectacle.

There was an amusing incident near the shops on Malabar Road. A macho man in an expensive white BMW tried to muscle his way through our parade and was quickly pulled over by the Police. As we rode by I could see him being told off by his wife on one side and the Police on the other while an endless train of painted cyclists rode by making antic gestures. Poor fellah, he looked very downcast.

Down at the beach we rode through a crowd of photographers and arrived just in time to hear the shark alarm go off. Out in the surf the lifeguards were dashing about, falling out of their boats etc. Would we have to ride home with our paint on?

No, the life guards kindly directed us to the rock pool where we could safely wash off our paint without getting gobbled up.

So once again we pulled it off against the odds. Funds are still coming in but I know we’ve raised several thousand. Stay tuned for a final figure on the first of March. If you haven’t done sponsorship yet there is still time! Click Here.

A very Big thank you and hug to everyone who came out and braved the weather to make our event a success. I think you should feel very proud to have been a part of yesterday's legendary ride. See you next year!

Paint Teams hands by Carolina


Snakebite said...

Most excellent!

Anonymous said...

recumbents rock!!