Saturday, April 07, 2007

Bicycle Macho

We've all noticed that there are heaps more people out there riding on two wheels these days which is a wonderful thing. I love cruising down Wilson St when there are lots of other cyclists on the road. At the moment it still feels like a subculture and although I want everyone in this town to commute by pedal power I guess it will be a little sad when cycling becomes mainstream. While most people are still riding in cars you do feel like a bit of a daring rebel. Cycling in Sydney is sometimes percieved as being like one of those Extreme Sports where really tough dudes put their life on the line just for the thrill of it. Which brings me to my point. How come most of the cyclists I see are women?
My friend Des reckons it's all about male insecurity, men need the car in order to feel powerful and dangerous. Women are more community minded, they care about the environment and what's good for society as a whole.
I think the blokes out there need to realise that if they had real balls they'd be taking on the traffic. Real men don't need a motor.

Just between you and me, it's really not that dangerous, motorists seem to be getting more considerate every day. They wait for me at intersections and make sure they allow plenty of room when they pass. It's pretty rare for a car to come within half a meter of me and Big Red. The only times I've ever felt endangered are when I've been deliberately doing something risky.
Australian's love to support the underdog, they all know they're in the wrong when they are riding around in a pollution machine.
Here's a video sent in by Phuong that provides another reason why women love their bicycles.

1 comment:

gwadzilla said...

DC's cycling culture is disproportionately male

be that racers, messengers, or commuters